Thursday, October 27, 2011

WLOCP 2011: V: For Victory

Good evening, Dawg Nation. Allow me first to apoligize for this interruption. I do, like many of you, appreciate the comforts of every day routine, the security of the familiar, the tranquility of repetition. I enjoy them as much as any bloke. But in the spirit of this rivalry, whereby those important events of the past, usually associated with the end of some awful bloody struggle, are celebrated with a nice holiday (for most of us), I thought we could mark this Cocktail Party, a day that is no longer fondly remembered by Georgia fans, by taking some time out of our daily lives and have a little chat.

There are of course those who do not want us to speak. I suspect even now, there are those in places like Gainesville who wish that the Bulldog Nation remains dormant. Why? Because while their record over the last few years may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to a meaning, and for those who will, the enunciation of the truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this rivalry, isn’t there? For years, Georgia was the dominant team, but only the recent failures are pronounced. Media, fans, and even the players, have come to view this as a one sided affair where only one side has a chance at victory.

How did this happen? Who’s to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they have been recognized, but again truth be told, if you’re looking for the guilty, you need only look in the mirror.

I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn’t be? 3-18. The timeout. Hanging 50. Terrance Edwards drop. Tebow. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the media, such as the AJC and ESPN. They promised unbiased coverage and demanded you respect their opinions. Today, I ask you to forget the recent past and remember why this game is considered a rivalry. 31 years ago, Lindsay Scott wished to embed the memories of late October in Jacksonville forever in our memory. His hope was to remind the world that heart, determination, and spirit are more than words, they are perspectives. So if you’ve seen nothing, if the pain of the long drive home from Jacksonville each fall is too much, then I would suggest to you that you allow this October 29 to pass unmarked.

But if you see what I see, if you feel as I feel, and if you would seek as I seek, then I ask you to stand beside me this Saturday, in the stands of Jacksonville Stadium, and together we shall give them all a Georgia victory that shall never be forgot!

V is VICTORY!

1 comment:

Bernie said...

Nicely done Streit. Can you help pay for the wall I just ran through?