With new defensive coordinator Todd Grantham bringing the 3-4 defense to Athens, it is hard to know exactly what Georgia's defense will look like this fall. The early exits of Reshad Jones and Rennie Curran paired with the graduations of Bryan Evans, Prince Miller, Jeff Owens, and Geno Atkins means there are at least 6 starting jobs open. Here is my best guess at the current Georgia depth chart, before signing day and spring practice.
DE - Justin Houston, Demarcus Dobbs
- I expect both players to be starters under Grantham's system, however we may see Justin Houston move to a linebacker hybrid position.
DT - Deangelo Tyson
- The graduations of Kade Weston, Atkins, and Owens leaves Tyson as the only experienced tackle the Dawgs have left.
ILB - Akeem Dent, Daryl Gamble
- Dent should have one of these spots, but Gamble may move outside.
OLB - Marcus Dowtin, ???
- Dowtin will occupy one spot but the other spot is anyone's guess. Christian Robinson played well at the end of last season.
CB - Brandon Boykin, Branden Smith
- Both players should improve in 2010. Look for Smith to really develop into a shut down corner.
S - Bacarri Rambo, Jakar Hamilton
- I am so excited to see what Rambo can do as a starter. The defense was clearly better when he was on the field last season. At the other spot, I will give the early edge to the Juco transfer Hamilton, though a healthy Quentin Banks and freshman Alec Ogltree will also push for playing time.