Wednesday, May 27, 2009
101 Days and Counting
The 2009 season is approaching fast and tomorrow we begin our countdown of the 100 days until the start of the football season. For those of you who may have disappeared over the last few months since the end of the 2008 season, here's a wrap up of what's happened in the Dawg nation since then:
- Matthew Stafford and Knowshon Moreno left school early for the NFL. Both were selected in the first round, with Stafford going #1 overall to the Lions.
- Georgia retained the services of Rodney Garner.
- Joe Cox has taken the reins at quarterback and looks to be ready to take over the team this fall.
- National signing day went well as Georgia picked up stud wide receiver Marlon Brown on signing day and also picked up Kwame Geathers and Orson Charles after signing day.
- G-Day was played before a national television audience on ESPN, with the red team winning a slow game, 13-3. Carlton Thomas scored the games only touchdown in the closing minute of action.
- DE Justin Houston was suspended for the first two games of 2009 and TE Bruce Figgins was suspended for the first 6 games for violating undisclosed team rules.
- Controversy has arisen about whether to move the Georgia-Florida game away from Jacksonville.
- The Athletic Association announced a $40 million expansion to Butts-Mehre,including an indoor multi-use facility.
Check back tomorrow (and everyday) as we countdown the days until the 2009 season.