Today is my 30th birthday. Wow, that is hard to say. I was born in the summer of '81, seven months to the day that Georgia won its last National Championship in football. And while the Dawgs have failed to make it back to the top in the last 30 years, they have had some pretty amazing moments. Here are just a few facts about the last 30 years of Georgia football.
- 4 SEC Championships: 1981, 1982, 2002, 2005
- 26 Bowl appearances with a record of 16-8-2
- 1 Heisman Trophy Winner (Herschel Walker) and another Heisman Trophy Finalist (Garrison Hearst)
- Posted a 22-8 record against in-state rival Georgia Tech
-Had players win the Nagurski (Champ Bailey) and the Lombardi (David Pollcak) awards given to the best defensive players in college football.
- Produced 20 first round NFL draft picks, including #1 overall in the 2009 draft (Matthew Stafford)
- Turned an 18 year old kid from Snellville, Georgia with no family ties to any major school into a die hard Bulldogs fan.
Here's to hoping the next 30 years are filled with at least as many memories as the last 30 years were.